I worked on two different pieces today. Both came from manipulations I worked on in September simply by spraying Citrasolv into the page of a National Geographic. They air dried then and were put way in a plastic bag. One thing I neglected to do today was to take a beginning picture after the initial manipulation. Mea Culpa. So the beginning picture that I have from today is one from this morning where I spent time using dip pens with more Citrasolv to move the ink again....a thicker parallel type pen and very thin nib. Both produced interesting results. The thicker nib rediscributed the ink and created new caverns and ridges, lights and darks. The thinner one was used to add more abstract detail. I washed each nib out immediately after finishing.
After allowing some drying time, I spot added some color back into the composition with a very tiny liner brush and Ranger Adirondack alcohol ink. I really enjoyed adding some personality to the piece. I used Germex to clean my brush between color changes. 91% rubbing alcohol would do the trick even better, but my cupboard was bare.
I used the same tools to move more of the ink and to take away the seal like face. I also turned it 90 degrees counterclockwise. I liked that orientation better for what I was thinking I would do. I decided on this one to do a quick sketch with India ink in the same pen nibs I had been using. I used the lights and darks I created by moving the ink, to become the backdrop for a contemporary flower.